A federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to reunite migrant children who were separated from their parents

migrant children mcallen texas facility

  • A federal judge ruled that US immigration agents must reunite migrant children who have been separated from their parents.
  • Children younger than 5 years old need to be reunited within 14 days of the order, and children 5 years old and older within 30 days.
  • More than 2,300 migrant children were separated after US President Donald Trump’s administration began a “zero tolerance” policy in early May.
  • Earlier on Tuesday a cabinet secretary said the US won’t reunite migrant children separated at the border unless their parents get asylum or agree to be deported.

(REUTERS) – A federal judge ruled on Tuesday that U.S. immigration agents could no longer separate immigrant parents and children caught crossing the border from Mexico illegally, and must reunite those families that had been split up in custody.

United States District Court Judge Dana Sabraw granted the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) a preliminary injunction in a lawsuit filed over the family separations.

More than 2,300 migrant children were separated from their parents after U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration began a “zero tolerance” policy in early May, seeking to prosecute all adults who crossed the border illegally, including those traveling with children.

“The facts set forth before the court portray reactive governance responses to address a chaotic circumstance of the government’s own making,” Sabraw wrote. “They belie measured and ordered governance, which is central to the concept of due process enshrined in our Constitution.”

Sabraw ordered the government to reunite parents with their children younger than 5 years old within 14 days of the order, and children 5 years old and older within 30 days of the order.

Sabraw’s ruling could force the administration to rapidly address confusion left by Trump’s recent executive order, and government agencies to scramble to reunite families. The administration can appeal.

The ACLU had sued on behalf of a mother and her then 6-year-old daughter, who were separated after arriving last November in the United States to seek asylum and escape religious persecution in Democratic Republic of Congo.

While they were reunited in March, the ACLU is pursuing class-action claims on behalf of other immigrants.

Trump issued an executive order to end the family separations on June 20, but the government has yet to reunite about 2,000 children with their parents.

The ACLU said on Monday Trump’s order contained “loopholes”, and proposed requiring that families be reunited within 30 days, unless the parents were unfit or were housed in adult-only criminal facilities.

Before the preliminary injunction ruling, the U.S. government urged Sabraw not to require that it stop separating and quickly reunite migrant families after they illegally cross the U.S.-Mexico border, saying Trump’s executive order last week “largely” addressed those goals.

Sabraw, who was appointed by Republican President George W. Bush, had on June 6 rejected the government’s bid to dismiss the case, saying forced separations could “shock the conscience” and amount to a violation of constitutional due process.

Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York, Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles and Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Himani Sarkar and Darren Schuettler

SEE ALSO: The Trump administration won’t reunite migrant children unless their parents get asylum or agree to be deported

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: What happens when you hold in your pee for too long

Source link

When Will 'Criminal Minds' Season 13 Arrive on Netflix? – Decider

If you’re a Netflix subscriber, then you know the streaming service isn’t just home to original series like GLOW and Queer Eye. It’s also home to a whole lotta legacy content (think Friends and The Office) as well as new seasons of popular network shows. That includes CBS’ long-running police procedural Criminal Minds. In case you didn’t know, every single season of the show is ready for you to binge–except one!

Right now, the first 12 seasons (I wasn’t kidding when I said “long-running”) are available to stream on Netflix, meaning you can watch any of the first 277 episodes of the show right now by merely logging in. That means you can watch every era of this show about FBI profilers, including stints starring Mandy Patinkin and Thomas Gibson all the way up through the current era, starring Aisha Tyler and Paget Brewster. One thing’s never in question, though: Matthew Gray Gubler will always be there. But wait–only the first 12 seasons? What about Season 13?

Is Criminal Minds Season 13 available to stream on Netflix?

The answer is, unfortunately, no–at least not yet. Season 13 wrapped up its run on CBS in April of this year, meaning it should hit Netflix sometime soon. Network shows like Criminal Minds are rarely (I think I could safely say “never”) added to Netflix on a weekly basis. Whole seasons get added to the service in one big chunk after the show finishes its network run. In the past, Criminal Minds seasons have been added to Netflix in June or July, usually as a total surprise. So you’re not gonna see Criminal Minds listed in the New on Netflix for July 2018 post, but that doesn’t mean it’s not on the way!

So when will Criminal Minds Season 13 arrive on Netflix?

Since I am a Netflix profiler, my informed hunch is that it’ll be added any day now. After all, previous seasons of the show were added in June or July after the season finale. Decider reached out to Netflix for information on Season 13’s release date, but there was none to give. But again, just because it hasn’t been announced yet and isn’t on the schedule doesn’t mean much. It could once again drop by surprise any day now, so keep your eyes peeled, profilers!

Where to stream Criminal Minds

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Harvey Weinstein Released on Bail Amid Sex Crime Accusations by 3rd Woman; His Lawyer Expects More Charges – NBC New York

What to Know

  • Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty Monday to charges he committed a sex crime against a third woman

  • The new charges include two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison upon conviction

  • Weinstein and his attorney have consistently denied allegations the disgraced movie mogul had nonconsensual sex with anyone

Moving beyond rote denials, Harvey Weinstein is playing a leading role in shaping what his lawyer said Monday will be an aggressive defense to sexual assault charges that could put him in prison for the rest of his life.

Lawyer Ben Brafman said the movie mogul-turned-#MeToo villain is essentially working as his paralegal and that they’re stacking up “overwhelming evidence” from email traffic and witness accounts to refute allegations that, so far, have led to criminal charges involving three of the dozens of women who’ve accused Weinstein of wrongdoing.

“I can tell you that we are no longer simply relying on Mr. Weinstein’s denials,” Brafman said outside a New York City courthouse after Weinstein pleaded not guilty to new charges alleging he performed a forcible sex act on a woman in 2006.

“We have corroborative evidence in the form of witnesses, we have corroborative evidence, overwhelming evidence, in the form of email traffic. And the suggestion that Mr. Weinstein raped anyone, just based on what I’ve seen, just based on the evidence I’ve seen, is just a preposterous allegation,” Brafman said. “So far, everything he has told us to look for we have found. And his denials are in my judgment being confirmed everyday by a lot of evidence we are finding that is independent of Mr. Weinstein.”

Yu Aung Thu/AFP via Getty Images

A judge released Weinstein on the same $1 million bail he posted at his first arraignment involving two other accusers and was allowed to return to his Westport, Connecticut home. He’s due back in court on Sept. 20.

Brafman said he expects more criminal charges to be filed later, but didn’t elaborate.

Weinstein previously forfeited his passport and is fitted with an electronic monitoring bracelet. He’s also been ordered to stay away from the three women.

Prosecutors, saying the new charges were “significantly more serious,” had sought to have Weinstein forced to move to Manhattan and placed on house arrest.

“We fight these battles one day at a time, and today we won this round,” Brafman said afterward.

Weinstein, 66, hobbled into the courtroom with his hands cuffed behind his back. He was uncuffed for the proceeding and didn’t say much other than entering his plea.

@foodfc_ / Instagram

He left court a few minutes later, trailed by a bulky bodyguard. Weinstein suddenly turned back in a panic about the whereabouts of his wallet. Brafman later said he’d found it.

Weinstein’s new charges include two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison upon conviction. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said they are “some of the most serious sexual offenses” that exist under state law.

Attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing the woman whose allegations led to the new charges, said her client will testify if the case goes to trial. She said she doubted Weinstein would do the same.

“Are you really willing to have your client face the jury?” Allred said outside the courthouse. “I doubt that you will take that risk, Mr. Brafman.”

Allred and prosecutors wouldn’t name the woman.

Brafman identified her in court as a former film production assistant who went public last October with allegations that Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her in 2006 at his Manhattan apartment.

Lillian Suwanrumpha/AFP/Getty Images

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault unless they consent to being identified publicly. Allred said her client is “not going to be giving any interviews and she’d like to maintain her privacy.”

More than 75 women have accused Weinstein of wrongdoing as allegations detailed in Pulitzer Prize-winning stories last October in The New York Times and The New Yorker magazine swelled into the #MeToo movement.

Only three complaints have led to criminal charges so far. In addition to the assault claim that brought him to court Monday, Weinstein is accused of raping an unidentified woman in a hotel room in 2013 and forcing a former actress, Lucia Evans, to perform oral sex at his office in 2004. Evans was one of the first women to accuse Weinstein publicly last fall.

A Timeline of Harvey Weinstein’s Undoing

[NATL-NY] A Timeline of Harvey Weinstein's Undoing

Weinstein, who produced movies including “Pulp Fiction” and “Shakespeare in Love,” has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex, with Brafman challenging the credibility of his accusers and the reporting that led to his downfall.

“If we allow Pulitzer-driven reporters to decide this case, then it could be hopeless,” Brafman said. “God help all of us if that’s how the criminal justice system is allowed to work.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link