Fox News settles a slew of discrimination lawsuits for around $10 million

fox news

  • Fox News reportedly reached a $10 million settlement for several discrimination lawsuits filed by 18 current and former employees.
  • The ranged from claims of racial, gender, and pregnancy discrimination.
  • The settlement would force the plaintiffs to drop their claims and find employment elsewhere, never to return to Fox News’s parent company, 21st Century Fox.

Fox News reportedly reached a $10 million settlement for several discrimination lawsuits filed by 18 current and former employees, according to The New York Times.

The lawsuits ranged from claims of mistreatment based on racial, gender, and pregnancy, including one that alleged no action was taken after repeated complaints about what was described as “abhorrent, intolerable, unlawful and hostile racial discrimination.”

“When it comes to racial discrimination, 21st Century Fox has been operating as if it should be called 18th Century Fox,” Douglas Wigdor and Jeanne Christensen, representatives of the plaintiffs, previously said in a statement cited by BuzzFeed News.

Fox News denied the allegations.

“We believe these latest claims are without legal basis and look forward to proving that Fox News at all times has acted appropriately, and lawfully,” a spokesperson said regarding a pregnancy discrimination allegation in 2017. “[Fox] is committed to a diverse workplace that is free from all forms of discrimination.”

The plaintiffs included Fox News reporters who appear on radio and television, including Kelly Wright, a black employee of the network since 2003.

Wright claimed in his filing that he was marginalized by the network’s so-called “plantation-style management.”

The settlement would bind the plaintiffs to drop their claims and find employment elsewhere, never to return to Fox News’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, according to The Times. The parties would be barred from disclosing their respective settlement amounts, but will not prevent them from discussing their allegations.

The settlement marks the end of another chapter in the network’s history of scandals. A string of sexual-harassment allegations have ratteled the network previously — which led to the ouster of several influential figures in 2017, most notably Bill O’Reilly, and then-chairman and CEO Roger Ailes.

SEE ALSO: Fox News is in the middle of a class-action racial-discrimination lawsuit

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: What Trump University was really like — according to a former professor

Source link

NXIVM sex cult case: Nicki Clyne retains criminal 'super' lawyer; but who's paying for it? – Artvoice

By Frank Parlato
Nicki Clyne has got a criminal lawyer. She made soon need one.
On May 4, Assistant US Attorney Moira Penza told the Federal Court in Brooklyn that, in addition to indicted co defendants, Keith Raniere and Allison Mack,  the US Attorney’s office would likely be bringing charges against others in the NXIVM sex cult case.
Penza told the court that new defendants may be charged within the next few weeks.
Although Penza did not name the targets, it is believed that Clyne, the former actress, who became a sex slave follower of Mack and Raniere, may be one of these.
Clyne has now retained New York criminal lawyer, Edward Sapone, a founding partner of Sapone & Petrillo, LLP of New York City.

According to an online profile  Sapone “focuses his practice on handling state and federal criminal defense cases that involve the following matters: white collar, financial, fraud, violent and narcotics crimes.”

Since Clyne appears to have little or no money for a retainer for a top shelf lawyer – she works in a vegan restaurant, – it seems likely that cult leader, Clare Bronfman is footing the bill for her attorney.

According to his online profile  “Mr. Sapone has been named in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100, and he holds an Avvo ‘Superb’ rating. He has received a Citation of Honor from the president of the Borough of Queens, the Hon. Helen M. Marshall, and from New York state assemblyman Francisco P. Moya, as well as a Proclamation of Honor from New York state Sen. Jose Peralta.

“A faculty member at the National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Mr. Sapone has taught at the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University. In demand as a legal analyst, he has appeared on a number of media outlets, including Court TV, MSNBC, CNN and Univision. Mr. Sapone is the president of The New York Criminal Bar Association, and he is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the Federal Bar Council and the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.”

He has been selected to “Super Lawyers” from 2014-2018.

Bronfman – the enormously wealthy Seagram’s heiress who, along with her sister, Sara Bronfman- Igtet – have funded the criminal cult for 18 years – is likely paying at least 12 lawyers to defend members of the cult.
Bronfman is believed to be paying Keith Raniere’ five lawyers, [Marc A. Agnifilo, Paul DerOhannesian, II, Danielle Renee Smith, Jacob Kaplan, Teny Rose Geragos];
Allison Macks’ three lawyers [Sean Stephen Buckley, Steven Gary Kobre, William F. McGovern];
The team of medical malpractice attorneys representing human fright experimenter Dr. Brandon Porter and human female brander, Dr. Danielle Roberts. (Abrams Fensterman Michael S. Kelton lead attorney);
 India Oxenberg’s civil attorney, Carla DiMare, [retained to sue India’s mother Catherine Oxenberg and others]
Bronfman’s own lawyers [Dennis Burke, William Savino and others].

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link