The black man beaten at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville now faces a felony charge

deandre harris attack charlottesville

A 20-year-old black man who was rushed and brutally assaulted by a group of white supremacists in Charlottesville two months ago is now himself facing a felony charge.

Deandre Harris was participating in a counterprotest to the white nationalists’ “Unite the Right” rally in August when a clash broke out in a parking garage near the University of Virginia campus.

Video of the incident shows Harris on the ground being violently kicked and beaten with poles by several attackers.

One person involved in the brawl, who has not been identified by authorities, has now accused Harris of injuring him during the exchange. The Charlottesville police department said in a press release on Monday it has issued an arrest warrant for Harris for unlawful wounding.

The video and several images of Harris’ beating went viral, triggering a social media crusade to identify the white supremacists responsible for the violence. Harris told media he had suffered injuries from the beating including lacerations to his head, a concussion, a broken wrist, and a chipped tooth.

Two men — 18-year-old Daniel Borden of Ohio and 33-year-old Michael Ramos of Georgia — were identified, arrested, extradited to Virginia, and charged with malicious wounding in August. At a court hearing for Ramos last month, his attorney reportedly said it may have been Harris who “struck the first blow in that fracas.”

Harris’ attorney S. Lee Merritt has described the charge against his client as “clearly retaliatory” and said Harris will soon turn himself into police.

“We find it highly offensive and upsetting, but what’s more jarring is that he’s been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him,” Merritt told The Washington Post.

He added that it was “highly unusual” for a warrant to come from the magistrate rather than the police department, and suggested that the alleged victim had previously made an unsuccessful attempt at accusing Harris.

The Charlottesville Police Department, however, said in its press release that the warrant was issued by the police department, at the request of the magistrate.

“The victim went to the Magistrate’s office, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant. The magistrate requested that a detective respond and verify these facts,” the release said. “A Charlottesville Police Department detective did respond, verified the facts and a warrant for Unlawful Wounding (va Code 18.2-51) was issued.”

After news broke of the arrest warrant against Harris on Monday, white nationalists openly celebrated on Twitter. One even suggested that a crowdsourced effort to produce evidence against Harris occurred:

hunter wallace tweet deandre harris

SEE ALSO: White nationalists carrying torches returned to Charlottesville chanting ‘we will be back’

DON’T MISS: Using social media to identify Charlottesville attackers can be a dangerous game

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Meet the three women who married Donald Trump

Source link

Criminal Minds Exclusive: The New Unsub Has a Disturbing Process – TV Guide

Do yourself a favor and don’t eat too soon before this week’s episode of Criminal Minds. It’s going to be a graphic one.

In TV Guide’s exclusive clip from the episode, “Blue Angel,” the BAU is evaluating their new case. The unsub has an extreme way of treating his victims. He tortures them, leaving giant gashes all over their body and then completely castrates them. As in he cuts off everything.

Yikes! Simmons (Daniel Henney) has an idea of where the unsub could have gotten his origins, but the team is definitely disturbed by how extreme their new target is willing to go to torture his victims. Is Simmons on the right track? Either way, this is definitely going to be one of those gruesome episodes, so buckle up.

Criminal Minds airs Wednesdays at 10/9c on CBS

(Full disclosure: TV Guide is owned by CBS)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

No redo on Weinstein groping investigation halted in 2015 – Middletown Press

Updated 11:12 pm, Tuesday, October 10, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) — Prosecutors said Tuesday that they didn’t have enough evidence to prove a model’s claim that movie producer Harvey Weinstein groped her in 2015. Even if they changed their minds now, it would legally be too late.

Ambra Battilana Gutierrez told police the movie magnate touched her thigh, grabbed her breasts and asked “are these real?” during a meeting in his Manhattan office on March 27, 2015. Police investigated it as a possible case of forcible touching, a misdemeanor with a two-year time limit for bringing charges under New York law.

The case made headlines at the time, and Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr.’s office publicly explained then that it had conducted a thorough investigation and concluded “a criminal charge is not supported.”

But the decision is getting new scrutiny since a dozen women — including actresses Angelina Jolie, Ashley Judd and Gwyneth Paltrow — told The New York Times and The New Yorker magazine that Weinstein sexually harassed or sexually assaulted them in various locales. Weinstein was fired on Sunday by the studio he co-founded with his brother, The Weinstein Co.

While he has apologized for causing “a lot of pain” with “the way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past,” his spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister said in a statement that “any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.”

Vance’s office on Tuesday “strongly encouraged” anyone who may have been victimized by Weinstein in Manhattan to contact prosecutors. But Chief Assistant District Attorney Karen Friedman-Agnifilo defended the office’s decision not to pursue Weinstein, who’s behind films including “Pulp Fiction” and “Clerks,” in 2015.

“If we could have prosecuted Harvey Weinstein for the conduct that occurred in 2015, we would have,” she said.

When Gutierrez reported that Weinstein had groped her, police investigators ran a sting. They listened in to a call between the two and had Gutierrez record an encounter in a hotel, where Weinstein alternated between trying to persuade her to come into his room and apologizing for his conduct at his office. The recording was obtained by The New Yorker, which posted a portion on its website on Tuesday.

“Why yesterday you touch my breast?” the 22-year-old Italian model asked.

“Oh, please, I’m sorry, just come on in. I’m used to that. Come on. Please,” he responded.

Friedman-Agnifilo said the recording was “horrifying to listen to” but was insufficient to prove criminal intent. She said the police arranged the sting “without our knowledge or input” and, coupled with other “proof issues,” there was “no choice but to conclude the investigation without criminal charges.”

New York Police Department Deputy Commissioner Steven Davis said detectives “used well-established investigative techniques” to present prosecutors with a recording that corroborated Gutierrez’s complaint plus other statements and information.

Criminal defense lawyer Matthew Galluzzo, who worked in the Manhattan district attorney’s sex crimes unit for three years until 2008, questioned the decision not to pursue charges against Weinstein.

“She can testify about what happened, and you’ve got him acknowledging he did something wrong,” Galluzzo said.

The New Yorker also detailed allegations by Lucia Stoller, now Lucia Evans, who said Weinstein grabbed her head and forced her to perform oral sex on him during a meeting at his office in 2004, when she was a college student and aspiring actress. She said she told him to stop and tried to get away but the burly producer overpowered her.

The district attorney’s office wouldn’t comment on whether it would investigate those allegations, which Evans did not report to police.

Under New York law, making someone engage in oral sex by physical force or the threat of it is a first-degree criminal sexual act, and there’s no legal time limit for bringing charges.

Pushing someone by the head could qualify as physical force, said Touro Law Center professor Richard Klein, a former criminal defense attorney who has written about sex assault laws.

But whatever the outrage over the allegations against Weinstein, prosecutors will be bound to judge any allegation on its own merits, “not influenced or controlled by the public opinion,” Klein noted.

Years-old sexual assault allegations did go to trial against Bill Cosby this year, after a district attorney in Pennsylvania reversed his predecessor’s 2005 decision that there was insufficient evidence to prosecute a woman’s claim Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her.

Cosby denied the woman’s claim, saying the encounter was consensual. Jurors deadlocked, and a retrial is set for next year.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link