An iconic shirt Frank Ocean wore in concert has sold thousands for an independent shop, but the idea for it was stolen

frank ocean

Frank Ocean gave a great performance at Panorama Music Festival last Friday, but the resulting discussion around his set has centered not so much on his music — or the fact that filmmaker Spike Jonze filmed the show — but on the instantly iconic T-shirt that Ocean wore during the performance.

“Why be racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic when you could just be quiet?” Ocean’s plain-white shirt read, in capitalized black lettering. 

As The New York Times reports, the shirt was produced by Green Box Shop, an independent online shop founded in 2016 by 18-year-old Kayla Robinson.

Over the weekend following Ocean’s performance, the shirt became a viral hit on Twitter, and Robinson’s site flooded with 5,500 overall purchases — a massive boon compared to her typical two-day sales of 100 orders.

The Times story goes on to detail, however, that the text of the shirt originated from the following August 2015 tweet, written by 18-year-old Brandon Male:

Male said he contacted Green Box Shop about the shirt earlier this year, and they initially disregarded him. After the shirt blew up following Ocean’s performance, Robinson reportedly sent Male $100 via Venmo — less than 1% of the revenue gained from the $18.99 shirts in two days.

“It was an impulsive decision,” Robinson told the Times. “I hadn’t looked at the number of sales, and I wasn’t thinking about it portionwise. It does look like I was just throwing money at him to keep him quiet.”

Male could have filed a cease-and-desist against Green Box for using his tweet without his permission. Instead, the two parties have since agreed to avoid the nebulous waters of internet copyright protection by sitting down to negotiate a proportional profit for both sides.  

SEE ALSO: Frank Ocean had a legendary director film his performance at Panorama Music Festival in New York

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Ryan Seacrest reveals the one thing you should never say to a celebrity the first time you meet them

Source link

Shemar Moore Reveals If He Would Return to 'Criminal Minds' – BuddyTV (blog)

Shemar Moore’s exit from Criminal Minds has seemingly left a void that no one else can fill on the show. The 47-year-old actor left the CBS series after 11 seasons to pursue other projects, including the lead on yet another CBS procedural. But is there still a chance for Moore to reprise his BAU fan favorite role?

“Anything’s possible,” Moore told TV Guide at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

Fans have already somehow made peace with his departure several episodes before season 11 came to an end — when his character Derek Morgan chose to say goodbye to his life at the BAU to be with his family. But that’s not to say that he won’t be greatly missed.

After officially leaving Criminal Minds, Moore returned in the season 12 finale to reprise his beloved character, providing the team with a possible lead on Peter Lewis. Based on Moore’s statement, it sounds like it won’t be the last time fans will see Morgan.

“I told all the fans, I keep telling them those elevators closed and they can always open up again,” Moore said, referring to his final scene.

“Right now, my focus is Hondo,” but if Malcolm needed to come back and flirt with his baby girl and take care of business, it could happen,” teased Moore, who plays lead character Sergeant Daniel “Hondo” Harrelson on the upcoming series SWAT.

Do you miss Moore on Criminal Minds or have you moved on? Will you be watching his new show? Should Morgan return to the BAU?

(Image courtesy of CBS)

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Mueller Adds Former DOJ Lawyer With White Collar Crime Expertise – HuffPost

NEW YORK (Reuters) – A former U.S. Justice Department official has become the latest lawyer to join special counsel Robert Mueller’s team investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, a spokesman for the team confirmed.

Greg Andres started on Tuesday, becoming the 16th lawyer on the team, said Josh Stueve, a spokesman for the special counsel.

Most recently a white-collar criminal defense lawyer with New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Andres, 50, served at the Justice Department from 2010 to 2012. He was deputy assistant attorney general in the criminal division, where he oversaw the fraud unit and managed the program that targeted illegal foreign bribery.

Mueller, who was appointed special counsel in May, is looking into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the election, among other matters. Congressional committees are also investigating the matter.

That Mueller continues to expand his team means the probe is not going to end anytime soon, said Robert Ray, who succeeded Kenneth Starr as independent counsel for the Whitewater investigation during the Clinton administration.

“It’s an indication that the investigation is going to extend well into 2018,” said Ray. “Whether it extends beyond 2018 is an open question.”

The special counsel last month asked the White House to preserve all of its communications about a June 2016 meeting that included the president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner, and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.

Russian officials have denied meddling in the U.S. election, and Trump denies any collusion by his campaign.

Among the cases Andres oversaw at the Justice Department was the prosecution of Texas financier Robert Allen Stanford, who was convicted in 2012 for operating an $8 billion Ponzi scheme.

Before that, Andres was a federal prosecutor in Brooklyn for over a decade, eventually serving as chief of the criminal division in the U.S. attorney’s office there. He prosecuted several members of the Bonanno organized crime family, one of whom was accused of plotting to have Andres killed.

A graduate of Notre Dame and University of Chicago Law School, Andres was a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin from 1989 to 1992.

He is married to Ronnie Abrams, a U.S. district judge in Manhattan nominated to the bench in 2011 by Democratic President Barack Obama.

Others on the special counsel team include Andrew Weissmann, chief of the Justice Department’s fraud section; Andrew Goldstein, former head of the public corruption unit at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan; and James Quarles, who was an assistant special prosecutor in the Watergate investigation that helped bring down President Richard Nixon.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Blackwater founder Erik Prince reportedly wants Afghanistan to use his private air force

Erik Prince

Blackwater founder Erik Prince is reportedly trying to convince the government of Afghanistan to use his private air force for close air support and intelligence collection, according to a proposal obtained by Military Times.

The proposal was floated to Afghanistan’s government in March through a company called Lancaster6, led by CEO Christiaan Durrant, an ex-Australian Air Force pilot and former operations director of Frontier Services Group, the firm Prince founded after he sold off his Blackwater empire.

Durrant previously ran FSG’s “special aviation division,” The Intercept reported in 2016.

It’s unclear what Prince’s role is with Lancaster6, although an Afghan military official told The Military Times that Prince personally presented the private air force proposal (Frontier Services Group did not immediately respond to request for comment).

The “turn-key” proposal to the Afghan government included pilots manning small propeller planes, helicopters, light transport aircraft, drones, and A-4 Skyhawk jets — Vietnam-era light attack aircraft that can fire missiles, bombs, and machine gun ammunition. The proposal also said Lancaster6 could provide medical evacuation and door gunners.

The Military Times report comes less than a month after The New York Times reported that Prince had tried to present a plan to the Pentagon that would replace most American troops in Afghanistan with private contractors. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis “listened politely but declined” to hear out Prince’s ideas, the Times reported.

Prince in May wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed that a private contractor force under the command of a US “viceroy” working in Afghanistan would save money and fix what he called an “expensive disaster.”

Read the full story at Military Times >

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: Here are the dangerous and intense methods the US Navy uses to keep its warships supplied at sea

Source link

Criminal Minds Season 13 Is Bringing Back One Of Its Craziest Killer – Cinema Blend

Fans will probably recall the unique mental state that Floyd was in for the Season 3 episode “Lucky,” as he’d initially thought himself to be possessed by a flesh-eating demon. As a child, he was committed to mental hospital after taking a bite out of his older sister, but released back into the world at age 18, at which point he opened up a BBQ restaurant and continued to sate his unique hunger for a while, until his murders are discovered by the BAU, that is. Understandably, Floyd wasn’t the easiest criminal for the BAU agents to share mental space with, so having him appear again presumably won’t be the most rewarding situation.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Navy's top lawyer accused of illegally targeting SEAL commandos – The San Diego Union-Tribune

The Navy’s top lawyer stands accused of unlawfully meddling in criminal cases targeting America’s elite commandos, and he’s being grilled by attorneys seeking to overturn the conviction of a Coronado-based Navy SEAL whom his admiral and other officers thought was innocent.

Legal experts consulted by The San Diego Union-Tribune agree that the allegations swirling around Vice Adm. James Crawford III, the Navy’s judge advocate general, are highly irregular. They point to his deposition this week in Washington, D.C., a session in which one of the attorneys questioning him said the admiral was unable to recall key details about a Navy SEAL’s rape case that he’s accused of illegally influencing.

Crawford has repeatedly declined to comment for stories about the case after a military appellate court began investigating the claims of his intervention.

That case involves an ongoing appellate hearing for Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator Keith Barry, who was court-martialed and convicted of rape in San Diego in 2015. He received a sentence of three years in prison and a dishonorable discharge. He has completed his prison term and left the Navy SEALs, but is appealing his conviction in hopes of restoring his reputation.

A team of Navy investigators was ordered to Coronado to review the case on the behalf of Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. William F. Moran’s office, and they concurred with the previous decision to not prosecute the SEALs.

Once the Navy’s decision is final, NCIS agents can then bring the case to federal prosecutors, which is what might have happened with the Lovelace drowning.

In an email to the San Diego Union-Tribune, NCIS spokesman Ed Buice insisted that Crawford didn’t direct agents “to take this investigation one way or the other.”

”In fact,” Buice wrote, “he recused himself from the decision-making process regarding this investigation once it went above (Navy Special Warfare) because he wanted to remain neutral in his advice to the (Chief of Naval Operations) on this matter.”

Citing King’s email, others aren’t so sure. When brought to Jeremiah Sullivan, the San Diego-based attorney defending one of the unnamed SEAL instructors, he accused the Navy of committing a “miscarriage of justice” through “venue shopping” the case to federal prosecutors. He’s called for more investigations into Crawford’s role overseeing criminal probes.

“The Navy determined that no crime has been committed,” he said. “Is the JAG Corps circumventing justice here by shipping a case to the U.S. Attorney’s office? It looks to me that they’re pawning off their bad cases that are too weak to prosecute.”

Word that the Union-Tribune had received records in both the Barry and Lovelace cases triggered numerous, sometimes frantic, calls from top Navy officials nationwide on Monday and Tuesday, with flag officers or their representatives inquiring into Crawford’s involvement in both matters.

Eugene R. Fidell, the military law instructor at Yale Law School, said both cases possibly linked to Crawford were very unusual but pointed out the need for broader reforms to the way the armed forces dispense justice.

“These cases illustrate that Congress needs to get serious about the military justice system and turn it from an 18th century system into one fit for the 21st century,” said Fidell. “Military decisions on who gets prosecuted, and for what, are based on a system that was used by King George III. Until that changes, you’ll continue to see controversies like these.”

Fidell has long advocated for lawmakers to strip commanders of the power to decide who is prosecuted, to pick jurors and to vacate verdicts and sentences, vesting charging authority instead with senior attorneys independent of the chain of command and jury selection with an outside and impartial commissioner.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link