Here's how Tim Cook explained why removing apps in China is not like helping the FBI hack iPhones (AAPL)

Tim Cook

Apple CEO Tim Cook on Tuesday defended his company’s decision to stop offering special apps that let Chinese users circumvent the country’s internet restrictions.

The recent removal of some VPN apps from Apple’s App Store in China has prompted criticism, with some accusing Apple of bowing to pressure from Beijing and placing its business interests above its values.

VPN, or virtual private network, apps allow users to connect directly and securely to the internet, bypassing the filters that the Chinese government uses to block certain sites (including Google, YouTube, and Facebook).

Apple’s anti-VPN moveseemed at odds with the image it has sought to create for itself as a champion of freedom and privacy. In 2016, the company famously battled with the US FBI, refusing to help law-enforcement officials unlock an iPhone that belonged to one of the suspects in the December 2015 terror attack in San Bernardino, California, that killed 14 people.

Is there a double-standard?

Not at all, said Cook.

Cook was asked about Apple’s VPN move in China during the post-earnings conference call on Tuesday. He said that Apple was simply responding to stepped-up enforcement of Chinese regulations that require anyone operating a VPN to have a license from the government. He noted that the App Store still offered “hundreds” of VPN apps from developers based outside of China and that Apple’s philosophy always involves “engaging” with governments it doesn’t agree with.

Here’s why Cook said Apple’s actions in China are not inconsistent with its values or its policies in the US:

“Some folks have tried to link it to the US situation last year. They’re very different. In the case of the US, the law in the US supported us. It was very clear. In the case of China, the law is also very clear there. Like we would if the US changed the law here, we would have to abide by it in both cases. That doesn’t mean that we don’t state our point of view in the appropriate way. We always do that.”

SEE ALSO: Apple stock surges to all-time high as forecast hints at strong sales boost

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: This cell phone doesn’t have a battery and never needs to be charged

Source link

Why Shemar Moore Joined SWAT So Soon After Leaving Criminal Minds: "Maybe We'll Create Some Understanding" – E! Online

Shemar Moore said goodbye to Criminal Minds after more than a decade on the hit CBS series, but it didn’t take him long to return to the network—even if he wasn’t planning it.

“The reason I came to SWAT is a lot of what you’re hearing form these three gentlemen right here,” Moore said at the 2017 TCA Summer Press Tour, referring to comments made by executive producers Shawn Ryan, Aaron RahsaanThomas and Justin Lin. The producers noted the series would be grounded in reality and take a look at Black Lives Matter, as well as other real world happenings.

“Nobody is asking us if we’re remaking the ‘70s show, or the movie,” Moore said. He praised the show’s diversity.

“We’ve got black, I’m biracial, we’ve got Asian…we’ve got white… this is the same name from the ‘70s show, it’s the same font…it’s the same theme song…Those are the only similarities…we’re taking on real life,” Moore said. “We’re taking on the Trump years…it’s just what’s happening today…It’s not just black vs. blue…it’s fear, racism, terrorism, subject matter of today.”

But don’t look for the show to stuff messages down the audience’s throat. “I don’t want us to preach…this is SWAT, you’re going to have a good time. It’s a thrill ride…When people watch this pilot, the first thing I hear is ‘Whoa…'”

Moore left Criminal Minds after 11 seasons. “I didn’t know SWAT was coming. I was an unemployed actor,” he said.

He went on vacation, he was living his life when he got a note from the producers about meeting with them for the role. When he departed the show, he said he got a card from his mother that said, “Leap and the net will appear.”

Sounds like that net did appear.

“Maybe we’ll create some understanding, some compassion and some patience and if you can do that with the television show, that’s why I signed up,” Moore said.

At the end of the SWAT panel, Moore reiterated his statements on the show and its diversity.

“Look at the news, we’re based in LA, but it’s a perfect time for SWAT. We’re seeing SWAT stories all over the world, so the whole world is going to be able to relate to this…Hopefully we’re going to be able to show you both sides of the conversation, blue, civilians, maybe not fix it, but create a debate…I may be the leader, but we’re all leaders in our own right…It’s not like, ‘Let’s put the black guy on the top because we always put the white guy’…there is a political thing happening, TV is looking for diversity, but it’s so individuals out there can see someone they can relate to,” he said.

SWAT premieres Thursday, Nov. 2 at 10 p.m. on CBS.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Bush ethics lawyer: I wish Trump could go one week without obstructing justice – The Hill (blog)

Former ethics chief to President George W. Bush said Tuesday that he would like the Trump administration to not obstruct justice for just one week.

Richard Painter said Tuesday that President Trump “weighing in” on the first statement about Donald TrumpDonald TrumpHow Polish populism explains Trump and the rebirth of nationalismLewandowski: Priebus ‘ultimately responsible’ for White House leaksEx-Cruz aide: Now Bannon is establishment voice in Trump White HouseMORE Jr.’s meeting with a Russia lawyer points to obstruction of justice.

“I would like to have one week from this White House where they don’t engage in a new act of obstruction of justice,” Painter said on MSNBC’s All In With Chris Hayes.

Painter said Trump Jr.’s use of a false statement drafted by his father will likely lead to a compromising ethical situation if a criminal investigation is taking place into the Russian meeting.

“Once the son says something in a public statement he’d be very likely to say something to the special prosecutor, and lying to the special prosecutor is a crime. If he lies under oath it becomes perjury,” Painter said. “This is a common strategy for obstructing justice.”

Painter also went after Trump in a series of tweets earlier Tuesday.

“Knowingly drafting a false statement for a person who is a witness in a criminal investigation is itself a crime. Obstruction of justice,” Painter tweeted.

“What kind of a man drafts a false statement for his own son about a matter under criminal investigation? A man who can pardon his son,” he continued over a series of tweets.

Painter also took aim at Trump Jr.’s lawyers, saying, “Lawyers who knowingly participate in drafting false statements for witnesses in criminal investigations should be disbarred and prosecuted.”

The statement referenced by Painter is the first of several contradicting statements made by Trump Jr. in light of reports that he met with a Moscow lawyer ahead of the 2016 election to gain compromising information of then-Democratic rival Hillary ClintonHillary Rodham ClintonLawsuit claims Trump involvement in retracted Fox story on Seth RichNorth Korea targeted emails of Clinton advisers: reportGOP rep on Trump dictating Russia meeting statement: Best to have ‘maximum amount of transparency’MORE.

More revelations about the meeting have unfolded in following reports, which led Trump Jr. to change his statements on who attended the meeting and the purpose of the meeting. It was reported earlier Tuesday that Trump helped draft the first, inaccurate statement by Trump Jr.

Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed Tuesday a report by The Washington Post that Trump helped to write the first draft of the statement, contradicting an earlier comment from Trump’s lawyer Jay Sekulow who denied the report.

“He certainly didn’t dictate. But he weighed in, offered suggestions like any father would do,” Huckabee Sanders said.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link